UK hauliers operating in EU countries will be required to register certain commercial trailers and/or require new travel documents following EU Exit.

Leaving the EU with a deal remains the government’s top priority. This has not changed. However, the government must plan for every eventuality, including a no deal scenario.

New Requirements for Registration of Commercial Trailers
In all scenarios (including a deal and a no deal), there are new requirements for the separate registration of commercial trailers from 28 March 2019.

New Requirements for Documents You Will Need to Drive in the EU
In the event that there is no EU Exit deal, you will need an International Driving Permit (IDP) in addition to your UK driving licence to drive in EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

In the event that there is no EU Exit deal and the UK and EU reach no separate agreement, drivers of UK registered vehicles will need to carry a motor insurance Green Card when driving in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland.

You will need a GB sticker even if your vehicle has a Euro-plate; a number plate displaying both the EU flag and a GB sign

Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC)
If you’re working for a company based in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway, you’ll need a Driver CPC issued by one of these countries. Until the UK leaves the EU, drivers can exchange their UK Driver CPC for an EU Driver CPC.

ECMT International Road Haulage Permits

While hauliers will still be able to operate across the EU in a ‘no deal’ scenario without ECMT permits, hauliers who need to drive through the EU to a non-EU country, such as Switzerland, will need an ECMT permit. Apply for permits here:

Stay Informed
Act now. Visit for the latest information and to sign up for email alerts.
Visit for a complete checklist of the documents you will need