UK hauliers operating in EU countries will require new travel documents if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

While we will work in an energetic and determined way to ensure we leave with a deal, if that proves impossible, we will have to leave with no deal. We are making the necessary preparations to ensure we are prepared for all scenarios. You will also need to take action to be ready.

New Requirements for Documents You Will Need to Drive in the EU

You will need an International Driving Permit (IDP) in addition to your UK driving licence to drive in some EU and EEA countries. More information on which countries require IDPs can be found at Gov.UK/brexitdriving.

Drivers of UK registered vehicles will need to carry a motor insurance Green Card when driving in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. You’ll need multiple Green Cards if a) your vehicle is towing a trailer – you’ll need one for the towing vehicle and one for the trailer and b) if you have 2 policies covering the duration of your trip, for example, if your policy renews during the journey.
You will need a GB sticker even if your vehicle has a Euro-plate; a number plate displaying both the EU flag and a GB sign.

If you currently work for a company established in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway, you’ll need to exchange your Driver CPC for one issued by the country in which you work. You can exchange your UK Driver CPC for an EU Driver CPC before the UK leaves the EU.

You may require an ECMT for some journeys. 99% of journeys between the UK and the EU will not require an ECMT permit until 31 December 2019.
Stay Informed

Act now. Visit for the latest information and to sign up for email alerts.
Visit for a complete checklist of the documents you will need.