The UK has left the EU and will leave the single market and customs union at the end of the transition period on 31
December 2020.

Regardless of the outcome of negotiations, there are actions that haulage businesses need to take now. By taking
action now, you can make sure your business is ready from 1 January 2021 to take advantage of new opportunities.

New Requirements for Documents You Will Need to Drive in the EU

You may need an International Driving Permit (IDP) in addition to your UK driving licence to drive in some EU and
EEA countries. More information on countries that require IDPs will be made available at

Drivers of UK registered vehicles should carry a motor insurance Green Card when driving in the EU, Iceland,
Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Serbia and Andorra. You’ll need multiple Green Cards if a) your vehicle is towing
a trailer – you’ll need one for the towing vehicle and one for the trailer and b) if you have 2 policies covering the
duration of your trip, for example, if your policy renews during the journey. Ask your insurer to issue you with a
Green Card 6 weeks before travelling.

You will need a GB sticker even if your vehicle has a Euro-plate; a number plate displaying both the EU flag and a GB

If you currently work for a company established in the EU, you will have to exchange your Driver CPC for one issued
by the country in which you work. You can exchange your UK Driver CPC for an EU Driver CPC before the UK leaves
the transition period by applying to the relevant body in your host country.

The Community Licence will be replaced with a UK Licence for the Community. From 1 January, you may also need
an ECMT permit for some journeys in Europe. You will still need a standard international operator licence.

From 1 January, you will have to use the “Check an HGV is ready to cross the border” service to prove that your
HGV has the right EU import and commodities documents for the goods it’s carrying before it crosses the GB / EU
border. You must use this service if travelling via the Port of Dover or Eurotunnel, to get a ‘Kent Access Permit’.

Stay Informed
Act now. Visit for the latest information including a complete checklist of the documents
you will need, and to sign up for email alerts.